Sunday, August 17, 2014

3-D Thomas the Tank Engine Cake

I attempted a 3-D cake for the first time and was quite happy with the results. Not being familiar with 3-D pans, I didn't know what quite to expect while it was cooking. I looked online and found a good cake batter recipe as a regular cake mix by itself wouldn't be firm enough. The batter was quite thick and the pan started to over flow while it was cooking. I started to slightly panic and then did a quick search online and found out that overflowing is normal and actual expected (though I probably could have put a little less batter in and still been okay). It meant that the pan had completely filled so the shape of the cake would be right.

I made a triple batch of the cake recipe so I would have enough batter to make a car behind Thomas.

 
 
I used Wilton tips and colours for the decorating. The blue turned out a bit darker than the Thomas blue. There is always that fine guessing how dark it will dry. :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Got the base of the face done and called it a night because I didn't want to be doing the most important details when I was tired. I wanted the face to look exactly like Thomas, not a pinterest fail attempt. lol.
 
 
 
The outline
 

 
Filling in the last of the details. I was pleased with the end result!

 
 
Adding smarties to the car
 
 
 
And, thankfully, the cake made the trip down the road safely for my nephew's birthday. :)


 

 
Happy 3rd Birthday, Willy!
 
 

No comments: